Background

Monday, October 22, 2007

Reflections on Funeral by Rachel

We drove to California this weekend for the funeral of a friend of my family. It is a long drive and it was hard to decide on going, but I'm glad we went. It was wonderful to see many people who have meant so much to me and my family for so many years. My hometown has changed a lot. It keeps growing.
The funeral was peaceful and made me reflect on a lot of things. It made me think about my dad's funeral, which I could not attend because I was out of the country. I often wish I had been there. Part of me though, is glad that I wasn't. The body of a loved one once dead is no longer the same. Yet, it gives some closure to the loved ones to see them that way and say their good-byes. It was also hard for me because we were back in the church where I grew up, the church that holds so many memories with my dad. We were even surrounded by people who knew him and loved him. Still, it was also somewhat joyful and made me feel at peace. I look forward to when I can be with him again.
I think it's important to stop once in a while and reflect on how we are living our lives. Are we showing love effectively to our loved ones? Are we doing our best? Are we reaching our goals? Are we where we want to or should be? Are we living in accordance with our beliefs? We have the opportunity every day to do better, to be better. I should do this more often.

1 comment:

julie said...

What a great post!

You're right - it is so important to reflect every so often to make sure you're on the right track. It's too bad that sometimes it takes something like this to remind us.

Hope you and your family are doing well. I love you!